1. Choose wisely when purchasing: Buy the best quality you can, repair and maintain items, and try to buy used or refurbished instead of new.
2. Sell, give away or donate reusable items instead of throwing them away.
3. Shop with reusable shopping bags.
4. Avoid over-packaged products and choose products with recycled content.
5. Drink tap water or filtered water from reusable bottles rather than bottled water.
6. Use reusable dishes and utensils and cloth towels and napkins instead of single-use products.
7. Avoid wasting food — nationally, about 40% of the food we purchase winds up in a landfill.
8. Cancel unwanted subscriptions and opt out of junk-mail.
9. Encourage your workplace to start a recycling program if there isn’t one in place already.
10. Participate in Howard County’s curbside recycling program and stay up to date on new recyclable materials (www.HowardCountyRecycles.org).