Transition Howard County is part of the international transition movement that focuses on making communities more resilient. Transition Howard County works toward creating sustainable communities in Howard County that embrace localization and ethical stewardship of the environment. The mission is to foster resilient and engaged communities by: raising awareness of climate change, declining resources and the need to adapt to future challenges; focusing on the sustainable development and use of local resources; promoting the crucial importance of a biodiverse ecosystem; encouraging lifelong learning; advocating for solutions; and collaborating with community organizations and government.
Transition Howard County partners with other local organizations including HoCo Climate Change, Earth Forum of Howard County, and the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN).
Committees and Activities include
• The Energy Committee plans sustainable energy related events including co-sponsoring the annual Howard County Green Homes Now Tour with Ho Co Climate Change.
• The Food Committee sponsors events on promoting local healthy food including the Food and Film activities at the Earth Forum.
• The Water Committee informs people about clean water and conservation issues and collaborates with other groups on stormwater management projects.
• The Ecosystem Landscaping Committee sponsored a Bioblitz and is involved in promoting the transition to landscapes that support biological diversity.
• The Health Committee explores issues pertinent to impacts of climate change on health and participates in Howard County’s Local Health Improvement Coalition (LHIC).
• The Outreach Committee participates in and sponsors educational events, such as Howard County GreenFest, Climate Reality presentations, movie nights, and discussion circles.
Volunteers can help with numerous activities including:
• Participating in committees and/or starting new committees.
• Sharing ideas on sustainable-living lifestyles.
• Posting events to our Facebook page and web site.
• Publicizing Transition Howard County at environmental events.
• Writing announcements for our electronic newsletters.