Action for a Sustainable Future is the theme of HoCo Climate Change, a grassroots organization designed to inspire and engage people to do what it truly takes to solve the climate crisis.
- Advocates at the local, state and federal levels to strengthen environmental and energy policies for clean air and clean and renewable energy.
- Organizes discussion circles and programs about why and how to use resources in a way that ensures them for future generations.
- Participates in local events to educate and inspire action towards reducing environmental impact.
- HoCo Climate Change is building a movement to solve the climate crisis along with their partners 350.org (an international organization), the Chesapeake Climate Action Network (CCAN, a regional organization, www.chesapeakeclimate.org), and other national groups that share this goal. The 10−10−10 Climate Action Solutions Party at Hopewell Park in Columbia showcased many actions that are taking place locally to reduce our community’s carbon footprint. HoCo Climate Change held two events in Howard County on 5−5−12, ClimateDots.org day, organized by 350.org. HoCo Climate Change supported Maryland Offshore Wind, attending rallies and collecting petition signatures, and demonstrated in DC to support www.tarsandsaction.org/. HoCo Climate Change joins with coalitions to work on creative actions to solve the climate crisis such as promoting community solar, supporting a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing, denying a permit to a Virginia energy company to allow conversion of the Cove Point liquid natural gas (LNG) facility to export to Asia and implementing the 2013 Maryland Greenhouse Gas Reduction Plan.
- Participate in new circles with discussion guides on reducing carbon emissions, environment and health, food for the future or sustainable living.
- Plan events to call attention to clean energy solutions.
- Advocate for climate change solutions.
- Write announcements for electronic newsletter.
- Write articles for the web site and blogs.
Ruth Alice White – 443–803‑8346
Betsy Singer – 443−812−2525